8 Jan 2006

"It was used very successfully for 10 years in psychoanalysis"


This Saturday's NY Times profile is dedicated to Albert Hofmann, aged almost 100, father of LSD, about which he says "LSD spoke to me. He came to me and said, 'You must find me.' He told me, 'Don't give me to the pharmacologist, he won't find anything.' "

The article is very captivating and thought-provoking, and it somehow reminded me of a book about Edison's life which i used to adore as a child. It speaks about the story of LSD discovery, the "bicycle day", Hofmann's "horror trip", "the first planned psychedelic test", as well as testimonies on the acid's effects, all coming from a person who claims that "It's very, very dangerous to lose contact with living nature" and that "LSD should be a controlled substance with the same status as morphine".
"Mr. Hofmann participated in tests in a Sandoz laboratory, but found the experience frightening and realized that the drug should be used only under carefully controlled circumstances. In 1951, he wrote to the German novelist Ernst Junger, who had experimented with mescaline, and proposed that they take LSD together. They each took 0.05 milligrams of pure LSD at Mr. Hofmann's home accompanied by roses, music by Mozart and burning Japanese incense. "That was the first planned psychedelic test," Mr. Hofmann said."
"I know LSD; I don't need to take it anymore. Maybe when I die, like Aldous Huxley."

No comments: