1 Nov 2005

Life In A Glass House

Henry John Heinz, the founder of the Heinz empire believed that "To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success". I am not sure why, but these words came into my mind when i read the introduction to a Guardian article on cartoonist Chris Ware (who, by the way, shares my birthday :) ). The article, entitled "The art of melancholy" presents Chris Ware as an although cartoonist realistic person, willing to use the art of his cartoons in order to present real life more likely than some fairy tales. His latest book, The Acme Novelty Library, is “stupendous” according to Matt Groening, while Chip Kidd, author of "Batman Collected" declares "Listen, I’ve been collecting and reading comics for over a quarter of a century, and I can tell you that nothing this meticulous, this thoughtful, has been done in this medium for a long, long time, if ever. ACME is a brilliant, gorgeous, groundbreaking achievement.”

In the mean time, another thingy that drew my attention, cause i found it somewhat funny is Quentin Tarantino's REPUBLIC DOGS , a funny sketch for the ones familiar with Tarantino's work and Plato's Republic.

And since last night i watched "Finding Nemo" again, for some reason i think it's cute to post a quote i particularly like in the movie: "Sharks: [reciting] I am a nice shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends, not food."

No comments: