21 Sept 2005

old movies

i just watched 2 old movies: 20 million miles to earth (1957) and Them! (1954). Old movies with creatures coming from outer space and with hybrids and mutants. Old typical monster movies. Them! was a little better, and some frames were quite well handled - for a movie of the such, don't get me wrong. this way i also discovered that fingerprints were taken in a funny hardworking manner :)). and the air conditioning in the police headquarters was just a very old and funny ventilator.
i also downloaded some of the first b&w mute movies, among which "A trip to the moon" (Melies), which i have been willing to watch for a while now.
And I watched "The usual suspects" (1995) and "Donnie Darko"(2001), and they made it to my fav movies list. I particularly like the way they were directed and i think i've learnt a lot from them.
Quotes from "The usual suspects":
  • Verbal: What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.
  • Verbal: You think you can catch Keyser Soze? You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught, and sticks his head out? If he comes up for anything it'll be to get rid of me. After that... my guess is you'll never hear from him again
  • Fenster: The way I hear it, Soze is some kind of butcher. A peerless, psycho, fucked-up butcher.
  • McManus: Old McDonald had a farm ee i ee i o. And on that farm he shot some guys. Badda boom badda bing bang boom.
  • Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
  • Verbal: The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Verbal: And poof. Just like that, he's gone.
  • McManus: There's nothing that can't be done.
  • Verbal: How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?
  • Verbal: And then he showed these men of will what will really is.
  • Verbal: A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself.

And, of course, some from Donnie Darko:

  • Donnie: First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village, but the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have reproductive organs under those little white pants. That's what's so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. What's the point of living if you don't have a dick?
  • Donnie: How can you do that? Frank: I can do anything I want. And so can you.
  • Donnie: Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit? Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  • Gretchen: Donnie Darko? What the hell kind of name is that? It's like some sort of superhero or something Donnie: What makes you think I'm not?
  • Donnie: [in a letter] Dear Roberta Sparrow, I have reached the end of your book and... there are so many things that I need to ask you. Sometimes I'm afraid of what you might tell me. Sometimes I'm afraid that you'll tell me that this is not a work of fiction. I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep. I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.
  • Gretchen: ...what if you could go back in time, and take all those hours of pain and darkness and replace them with something better?
  • Dr. Lilian Thurman: The search for God is absurd? Donnie: It is if everyone dies alone.
  • Gretchen: My mom had to get a restraining order against my step dad. He has emotional problems. Donnie: Oh, I have those too. What kind does your step dad have? Gretchen: He stabbed my mom four times in the chest. Donnie: Oh.
  • Dr. Lilian Thurman: If the sky were to suddenly open up, there would be no law, there would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories.
  • Gretchen: Some people are just born with tragedy in their blood.
  • Karen Pommeroy: [to Principle Cole] I don't think that you have a clue what it's like to communicate with these kids. We are losing them to apathy... to this prescribed nonsense. They are slipping away.
  • Dr. Lilian Thurman: What else makes you feel regret, Donnie? Donnie: [suddenly breaking into a wide grin] That I did it again...
  • Karen Pommeroy: This famous linguist once said that of all the phrases in the English language, of all the endless combinations of words in all of history, that Cellar Door is the most beautiful
  • Seth Devlin: Did you fucking call the cops? Donnie: Deus ex machina... Seth Devlin: What? Donnie: Our saviour.
  • Donnie: [reading poem in class] A storm is coming, Frank says / A storm that will swallow the children / And I will deliver them from the kingdom of pain / I will deliver the children back the their doorsteps / And send the monsters back to the underground / I'll send them back to a place where no-one else can see them / Except for me / Because I am Donnie Darko.

And i was very glad cause its soundtrack contained a song i've always liked, but have never paid attention to. The song is "Mad World". Lyrics:

All around me are familiar faces

Worn out places

Worn out faces

Bright and early for the daily races

Going no where

Going no where

Their tears are filling up their glasses

No expression

No expression

Hide my head I wanna drown my sorrow

No tomorrow

No tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had

I find it hard to tell you I find it hard to take

When people run in circles its a very very

Mad world

Mad world

Children waiting for the day they feel good

Happy birthday

Happy birthday

And I feel the way that every child should

Sit and listen

Sit and listen

Went to school and I was very nervous

No one knew me

No one knew me

Hello teacher tell me what’s my lesson

Look right through me

Look right through me

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had

I find it hard to tell you

I find it hard to take

When people run in circles its a very very

Mad world

Mad world

Enlarging your world

Mad world

No comments: